--------------------Start at the beginning...click here for the first chapter of Harvest-----------------------Start at the beginning...click here for the first chapter of Harvest---------------------------Start at the beginning...click here for the first chapter of Harvest-------------------------Start at the beginning...click here for the first chapter of Harvest------------------------Start at the beginning...click here for the first chapter of Harvest----------------------------Start at the beginning...click here for the first chapter of Harvest-------Start at the beginning...click here for the first chapter of Harvest-------

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Harvest-Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1: BLIND


“Beat you..again.” She told him, smirking in his general direction. They were both gasping, having run across the soccer field twice.
“How…can you..do that..you..you can’t see!” he gasped, bent over with his hands on his knees as she beamed at him.
“Don’t need..to see to..know how to..run in..a straight line..” she chuckled, then pulled off the white hat she wore that bore a peace sign and had several rips along it, strings poking out in bunches. It had covered her eyes, shading them from the sun. However, over her eyes there was a long, black, cloth tied around them, allowing no light in or out. She ran her hand through her short, choppy brown hair, then put the hat back on, covering her smooth face with shadows.
“Face it,” she taunted, “You can’t beat a girl.”
“I can beat everyone but you!” he growled back, standing up.
“Heh, the blind one?” she smirked, crossing her arms. He fell silent and her smirk widened into a grin.
“Stop that!”
“It’s a free country! I can laugh at you all I want!”
He rolled his eyes, sticking out his tongue. After a pause she shook her head, “You’re so immature, you know?”
He blinked, “Did you see me stick out my tongue!?”
“Nah, but you did just tell me.” She laughed, then leaned down, her hand feeling the ground for her water bottle. He rolled his eyes again, then took her water bottle and pushed it into her hand. She smiled and took it, tilting her head back and pouring the water in it.
“Thanks,” she said as she finished, closing it and glancing in his direction. He took her arm, leading her up the small slope towards the school.
“I don’t get it, you know.”
“What?”
“That you get straight A’s and are one of the best runners on the track team. How does that work?”
“Cause I’m special.” she grinned, laughing quietly.
“Oh stop it!” he shook his head, chuckling, “and so, like, I’m not special?”
“Pretty much!”
“Ah..I see..I think I’m getting this now..”
“It’s not that hard to understand!”
“You’re so mean!”
“So what? I’m blind! I get to be mean!”
He let her go, stepping away and she froze.
“I can be mean too!” he said, humor in his voice.
“Sammy..”
“Say you’re sorry!”
“No way! Not to a guy!”
“Oh well..can’t get back then, can you?”
“Now that’s just cruel! You’re a cruel, cruel person!”
“Oh yeah?” Samuel laughed, “Well I’m not special, I get to be cruel!” his voice was playful mocking.
“Alright, jeez! I’m sorry!”
“Good, now-”
“Hey Sammy!” another teenager walked up to them. He looked offended at the blind girl’s presence, “With Katara again, I see.” he growled out darkly.
“Be nice,” Samuel hissed, taking Katara’s arm and leading her again.
“Oh, Sammy, don’t be that way. We used to be best friends until..her.”
“I’m not deaf, you idiot!”
“Oh I’m sorry,” he hissed sardonically.
“I may be blind but I can still kick your butt. You know, I heard you were fat and stubby.” Her voice was strangely bitter. However, her words were in fact true. His round cheeks grew blood red, his pudgy fists clenched. Samuel glared at him, mouthing, ‘Don’t you dare!’ The boy sighed then turned away, walking up into the school.
Katara paused, “Is he gone?”
Samuel nodded then said, “Yes Kat.”
She smiled then waited for him to lead her again. When he didn’t her brow furrowed, looking in his direction. “Samuel?”
He was staring ahead, eyes squinted to try to make out a figure ahead, walking towards the back door of the school.
“Sammy,” her voice had instinctively dropped low, “what’s going on?”
“There’s a man..he’s trying to get in through the back door of the school.”
Katara froze, “Um..Sammy? Can you make anything out? Maybe I can help.”
He growled, shaking his head, “Yeah..cause you have experience with that.”
Kat felt stung, stepping back and scowling at the place she heard the words.
“C’mon,” he said, “let’s get closer.”
“Yeah, cause you can protect both of us.” She hissed darkly, shaking her head. Samuel looked at her, his face pained, guilty. He should’ve seen that coming after what he said. How she got blind was one of the things she would never talk about. Matter of fact, she never talked about her parents either-
“Kat..I’m sorry..I’m just..tense..I dunno..I’m sorry.” his voice portrayed his pain, his guilt.
She sighed, nodding. “I should’ve snapped either..apology accepted.” she smiled faintly, looking towards him. “Let’s go investigate, shall we?”
He laughed softly, “Alright Kat, c’mon.”

No comments: